DWI probation is a period of supervision after a driving while intoxicated conviction. The purpose is to help with rehabilitation and to provide the right restrictions, guidance and treatments that will enable the accused to be able to safely return to the roads in the future.
If you are convicted of driving while intoxicated, you may be sentenced to a period of DWI probation:
- 3 years DWI probation for a misdemeanor DWI
- 5 years DWI probation for a felony DWI
Some of the terms and conditions of your DWI probation are determined by the courts and the Probation Department. It is important to have an experienced attorney representing you and your rights throughout this process.
Understanding the conditions of your DWI probation.
Depending on your sentencing and the charges against you, here are some of the terms that you may be facing:
- Unannounced testing. Anyone on DWI probation in, NY must submit to breath and blood testing whenever the Probation Department requires it.
- Restrictions on employment. You may be required to maintain a suitable and steady form of employment (or attend school).
- Probation supervision. You must report to your DWI probation officer at regularly scheduled times. Your home can also be required to undergo search and seizure at any time.
- Restrictions on bars and nightclubs. People on DWI probation cannot enter bars, taverns, wineries, sports bars, nightclubs or any other place where the primary business is serving alcohol.
- Requirement Restrictions on gun ownership. You cannot own or use any type of rifle, shotgun, handgun, black powder or antique firearms.
- Required community service. You may be required to perform non-paid community service in your spare time.
- Mandated drug and alcohol abstinence. All non-prescription drugs and alcoholic beverages are prohibited.
- Use of an Ignition Interlock Device. This device must be installed in your vehicle to check your breath-alcohol concentration before you can start the engine.
- Alcohol and drug abuse evaluation. You may have to undergo a professional evaluation and complete any treatment or counseling recommended.
If you or a loved one has been charged in New York with driving while intoxicated (DWI) or driving while ability impaired (DWAI), you need a skilled and experienced criminal defense lawyer. We have successfully handled misdemeanor and felony DWI cases. We have also represented those charged with chemical test refusals (e.g. refusing to give a breath, blood or urine sample) both in the courts and at DMV hearings. Our lawyers have assisted countless people in obtaining hardship driver licenses and conditional driver licenses.
We strive to protect our clients by creating effective strategic defenses for clients charged with:
- DWI Felony
- Commercial DWI
- DWI with a non-automobile
- BWI (boating while intoxicated)
- DWI and DWAI Vehicular Manslaughter
- Aggravated DWI
- DWI Under age 21
- DWI probation
- DWI with injury
Being charged with driving while intoxicated, whether classed as a felony or as a misdemeanor, is a very frightening experience. In addition to the possibility of jail and steep fines, those charged with driving while intoxicated also face the possibility of having a criminal record, having their driver’s license suspended or revoked, and other serious consequences. Our attorneys have helped those faced with DWI or DWAI offenses throughout New York and Long Island. We have DWI and DWAI criminal defense lawyers standing by and ready to help you. If you have refused to take a Breath or Blood Tests or you are a victim of DWI Police misconduct; we can help defend your legal rights.
The attorneys at The Law Offices of Rubinstein, Zeh and Associates are committed to forming a vigorous defense on behalf of individuals who stand accused of such crimes as DWI or DWAI.
At the Law Offices of Rubinstein, Zeh and Associates, we understand that no two cases are alike. The lawyers at The Law Offices of Rubinstein, Zeh and Associates, have many years of experience handling DWI cases. The attorneys at the law offices of Rubinstein, Zeh and Associates can help you navigate through the DWI criminal defense process, and make it easily manageable in your time of need. Our attorneys are not only trained in handling simple DWI or DWAI matters, we take care of complex DWI defense litigation in Nassau County, Suffolk County, Queens County, Bronx, Westchester, Richmond County, Manhattan and Brooklyn Kings County New York.
If you, or a loved one, have been charged with driving while intoxicated, or driving while ability impaired, in the state of New York do yourself a favor and call our experienced criminal defense lawyers for a free consultation at 1-800-960-1529 or visit us online. We will use our experience, knowledge, aggressiveness and tenaciousness to get you the best possible results. Our lawyers offer reasonable rates, payment plans, and accept all major credit cards.
Effective Legal Assistance
Get the Help You Need from a DWI & DWAI Defense Lawyer in New York
The Law Offices of Rubinstein, Zeh and Associates offer professional assistance to help anyone charged with a felony to fight back. We understand that a DWI or DWAI conviction threatens your life, your freedom and your future. To schedule a free 30-minute consultation with one of our attorneys, contact us by phone at 1-800-960-1529.
We like to start every case the same way: by listening to all the facts. We sit down with you (and your witnesses) to hear exactly what happened. The police and the accusers are going to have their story. We’ll be presenting yours. So we want to start by hearing and understanding your side of it.
Call us at 1-(800) 960-1529 or email us to schedule a consultation to see if we’re the right New York DWI & DWAI defense lawyers for you.
We are dedicated to your success — so contact us today. Speak with one of our knowledgeable Long Island criminal defense litigation attorneys today from wherever you are in New York in Nassau and Suffolk, Brooklyn, Kings and Queens Counties, on Long Island and all New York City boroughs including Bronx, Westchester, Richmond County, and Manhattan.
Get Help With Your Legal Case Now
You should be properly prepared if you are facing criminal charges. You should know that you have certain legal rights and you must be very selective of the Lawyer and Law Firm that you chose to represent you. Have an Attorney council you on the Right Decision for you. We have DWI and DWAI criminal defense lawyers standing by and ready to help you.